Paediatric Music Therapy
Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) is a research-based treatment approach that uses music and rhythm to change the way the brain functions. While each person is unique and treatment is individualized, there are some common techniques that can be applied.
For example, movement paired with rhythm can help develop new sensory and motor brain connections, which improves body awareness and motor control, as well as eliminating non-functional motor behaviors. Singing, instrument playing, and other verbal/vocal exercises are often used to develop speech, language, and communication skills.
By addressing developmental delays at the neurological level, NMT can positively affect the skills and abilities for individuals to be independent, to meaningfully relate to others, and to truly demonstrate their self-potential.
Neurologic Music Therapy can assist with:
- Encourage ability to imitate
- Promote self-regulation
- Decrease interfering behaviours
- Improve impulse control
- Improve gait and coordination
- Improve muscle and respiratory strength
- Improve speech and verbal communication
- Improve memory skills
- Increase verbal/non-verbal expression of feelings
- Decrease stress and anxiety
- Improve interactions with others
Get in Touch!
We have a diverse team of professional therapists dedicated to helping you meet your rehabilitation goals. Let’s talk about some next steps to getting you on the road to recovery.